Sr. Principal Power Supply Designer - Palm Bay FL or Fort Wayne IN
Company: L3Harris Technologies
Posted on: September 19, 2023
Description: Job Title: Sr. Principal Power Supply Designer
(Relocation assistance will be provided to candidates outside the
Job Code: SAS20231904-99844
Job Location: Palm Bay, FL or Ft Wayne, IN
The Power Supply Design Engineer will be responsible for
specification, design, analysis and testing of GaN-based power
supplies for avionics and spaceborne applications.
- Provide program support, including mission/requirements
definition, concept generation and trade studies.
- Perform system, sub-system, circuit card assembly (CCA) design
of GaN-based power supply circuits, including development from
preliminary concept to final design. Specific tasks include
schematic diagram generation, component selections, modeling and
simulation, circuit analysis, testing, evaluation and integration
- Effectively address specific design considerations and apply
best design practices relevant to GaN power switching
- Device biasing, driving, and stability through all quadrants of
- Switching and conduction losses modeling, simulation, empirical
- Device paralleling and current sharing
- Key layout practices to minimize and balance undesired
parasitics (minimizing loop size, magnetic flux cancellation, gate
trace and source return symmetry strategies)
- Thermal considerations and management
- Mounting considerations and galvanic isolation
- EMI/EMC design considerations and problem resolution.
- Produce technical documentation: including review materials for
Customers, performance requirement specifications, test plans, and
- Lead or support internal and external Design reviews, including
- Perform Worst Case analyses (WCAs); support root cause
corrective actions (RCCAs) and Failure Review boards
- Collaborate with manufacturing operation for fabrication in a
program team environment.
- Work independently or lead a small team of designers.
- Bachelor's Degree with at least 9 years of relevant experience,
OR a Graduate Degree with at least 7 years of relevant
- 7+ years of experience interpreting high level requirements to
develop GaN-based power solutions.
- 7+ years of experience in the design, development, test,
evaluation and troubleshooting of GaN-based power
- 7+ years of experience of detailed power converter design
across multiple topologies; GaN device characteristics, control
loop theory, thermal management, custom magnetics design, PWB
layout best practices and EMI filtering.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Active TS/SCI clearance.
- Experience with SPICE, MathCAD, Matlab, Simulink, Allegro and
- Extensive discrete power supply design experience with GaN
power switching components implemented across different topologies
of AC/DC and DC/DC power converters (both isolated and
non-isolated) that meet power and EMI/EMC requirements described
under MIL-STD-1275, MIL-STD-704, MIL-STD-461, and DO-160.
- Experience with Root Cause Corrective Actions (RCCA) and
Failure Review Boards (FRB).
- Experience leading teams and project designs.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work in a
multi-disciplinary team environment
- Demonstrated effective collaboration across all levels of
Keywords: L3Harris Technologies, Melbourne , Sr. Principal Power Supply Designer - Palm Bay FL or Fort Wayne IN, Other , Melbourne, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!