Maritime Security Officer
Company: Government jobs
Location: Cape Canaveral
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Job Class Description
Maritime Officers serve in purpose and action to detect and prevent
security threats that may affect ships or port facilities. Maritime
Officers are tasked with providing access control, inspection,
patrol, and administrative services in concurrence with Florida
State Statute 311 and Title 33 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
Officers provide vital services in the deterrence, detection, and
disruption of security threats. Maritime Officers work under the
direction of Law Enforcement to promote public safety and the free
flow of legitimate trade and travel. Position Duties
The tasks below are those that represent the majority of the time
spent working in this class. Management may assign additional tasks
related to the type of work of the class as necessary.
- Perform access control driver screening for secure / restricted
- Conduct vehicle security inspections.
- Issue temporary access credentials.
- Prepares reports and keeps records of all activities in
accordance with established agency policy.
- screening embarking / debarking foreign and U.S. Mariners.
- Enact MARSEC Protocols as directed.
- Conduct security patrols of cargo and cruise terminal
- Provide access control to inactive cruise terminals and cargo
- Provide TWIC escorts as directed.
- Provide security for special terminal (public) events as
- Provide security and administrative support at the Maritime
Center as necessary.
- Participate in the training of new employees as directed.
- Conduct fuel pipeline inspections.
- Submit maintenance work order for supervisory review.
- Provide active pier (vessel) security as directed.
- Conduct garage (parking lot) security patrols.
- Provide information and assistance to Port visitors.
- Maintain knowledge of current security threats and
- Recognize and detect dangerous substances and devices.
- Provide due care for department vehicles, equipment and
uniforms in accordance with standing Department Policies and
- Regular dependable and punctual attendance is an essential
function of this job. Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Valid Florida Class E Driver's License (Must maintain for the
duration of employment.)
- This position requires successful completion of Sheriff's
Office pre-employment medical physical and psychological
- Minimum of six months security related or law enforcement
- Requires drug test prior to assuming position and if employed,
will be subject to return to duty, post-accident and/or random and
reasonable suspicion drug tests while employed. Additional
SCHEDULE: Work is completed in 12 hour shifts (6:00pm - 6:00am)
with employees working weekends and holidays. Must be available in
the event of a natural disaster or emergency.
The job requires inside and outside work; ability to tolerate
inclement weather including heat, humidity, cold and fog. The job
requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing,
speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception and
During an emergency, the Sheriff will determine who is considered
an emergency responder and whose work is necessary to maintain the
operation of law enforcement and correctional facilities. This
determination is subject to change based on staffing and the
operational needs of the agency.
The Brevard County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity
employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, and sexual
orientation, national origin, age (over 40), disability or genetic
information in employment practices. We encourage veterans, service
members and their spouses and family members to apply for
employment with this agency, qualified applicants will receive
preference and priority in hiring decisions. ADA requires the
Sheriff's Office to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees
are invited to discuss accommodations.
- 12 annual days accrual per year* Increases based on years of
- 12 sick days accrual per year* unlimited carryover.
- 11 paid holidays per year*
- 3 personal days accrued per year
- 20 hours hazard leave accrued per year
- Tuition reimbursement
- Workout facilities
- Medical/Prescription insurance
- Basic Life and AD&D insurance
- Mental Health - Employee Assistance plan
- Dental/Vision/Dependent Health Insurance available at Group
- Participation in the Florida Retirement System
- Optional Deferred Compensation Program (employee
- Uniforms (dependent on position)*Part-Time Permanent Employees
receive leave accrual and holidays on a pro rata basis.
01 Do you have any past experience working security at a Port,
Maritime or similar facility?
02 Please describe your Security/Law enforcement experience. Note:
"N/A" or "see resume'/application" is not an acceptable
03 This is a shift position, (6:00pm - 6:00am) Employees must be
able to work this shift including evenings, midnights, weekends and
holidays. Employees may be subject to report to work on short
notice or work extended work days and hours to meet operational
needs or in the event of an emergency. Are you able to comply with
the work schedule?
04 I understand, applicants hired by BCSO into the position of
Maritime Security Officer, must agree to remain employed with BCSO
for a period of no less than three years from their date of hire.
Employees who separate employment, voluntary or involuntary, before
the three year period expires are required to immediately reimburse
BCSO for background fees of $1,520.00. I understand and agree.
05 Have you ever been separated or resigned from a previous
criminal justice employer while under a criminal investigation,
administrative investigation or was potential subject to
termination of employment?
* Required Question
Keywords: Government jobs, Melbourne , Maritime Security Officer, Other , Cape Canaveral, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!