Company: City of Cocoa, FL
Posted on: June 12, 2021
This is skilled work related to the installation, inspection,
testing and repair of backflow preventers, surveys of new and
existing customer facilities serviced by the City of Cocoa
Utilities Department for potential and actual cross connections,
scheduled inspections of premises, and testing and repair of
backflow prevention devices. Employees must have general knowledge
of various maintenance and construction tasks. Requires heavy
manual work. Performs general underground utility related work
requiring the use of hand tools, power tools, electronic and
mechanical test equipment, construction equipment with frequent use
of light-duty automotive equipment, and occasional use of medium-
to heavy-duty automotive equipment. Responsible for the upkeep and
efficient operation of the tools and/or equipment used. Employee
provides detailed written reports and receives written or oral
instructions and performs work under the supervision of the
Distribution Superintendent, Assistant Distribution Superintendent
or a Supervisor II.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operates light- to heavy-duty trucks, electronic and mechanical
test equipment for backflow preventers;
- Tests and repairs backflow preventers;
- Keeps records of all backflow devices, repair and test
- Verifies that all customers are complying with the City of
Cocoa and State of Florida requirements.
- Employee must interact directly with customers.
- May be required to operate power saws, small and large tapping
machines, tractor/loader and other equipment used in underground
utility related work.
- Assists Crew Leader, Supervisor II and maintenance personnel
with preventive and constructive maintenance projects.
- Performs janitorial work such as sweeping, mopping, cleaning
windows, vacuuming and general cleanup.
- Installs water and sewer mains, service lines, meters and fire
hydrants. Performs landscape restoration involving asphalt,
concrete and sod.
- May be required to work during a declared or undeclared
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local rules and regulations
regarding cross connections.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment used in test and repair of
backflow preventers, pipeline construction and maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of general safety rules, traffic control
regulations, trench excavations, and precautions to be taken when
working near other utilities (electric, gas, telephone, etc.).
- Ability to operate light- to heavy-duty trucks, tapping
machines, air and hydraulic equipment and related construction
- Ability to read maps and blueprints.
- Ability to enter and retrieve data on computer.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
without close supervision.
- Physical strength and ability to perform heavy manual
- Ability to provide detailed written reports.
- Must effectively interact with customers.
- Use of electronic and mechanical backflow preventer test
equipment, electronic pipe, cable and valve locating
- Skilled in test and repair of backflow preventers and in
various utility maintenance and construction tasks.
- Map and blueprint reading.
- Must demonstrate operating proficiency.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Graduate or GED and equivalent training and work
experience. Must possess an approved and valid cross connection
control testing and repair certification, or the ability to obtain
the same within 90 days of employment. Two (2) years' experience
testing and repairing backflow preventers is preferred, but will
consider experience in utility maintenance, plumbing trades, or
other related construction fields.
For positions requiring the operation of City vehicles, must
possess a valid current Florida driver's license, or be able to
acquire one within 45 days of hire.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
The work is generally medium to heavy and may require exerting
up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and 30 pounds amount of
force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or
otherwise move objects. Additionally, the following physical
abilities are required:
- Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling
while walking, standing or crouching on narrow, or slippery
- Climbing: Frequently ascends or descends ladders, stairs,
scaffolding, or ramps.
- Handling: Picking, holding, or otherwise working with the whole
- Hearing: Ability to hear and understand at normal speaking
levels with or without correction.
- Kneeling: Ability to frequently bend legs at knee to come to a
rest on knee or knees.
- Lifting: Ability to lift and move objects
- Mental Acuity: Ability to make rational decisions.
- Pulling / Pushing: Ability to occasionally move objects up to
- Reaching: Ability to frequently extend hand(s) and arm(s) in
- Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the
wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking / Talking: Ability to communicate clearly, accurately
and concisely through speech.
- Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time.
- Stooping: Ability to frequently bend body downward and forward
by bending spine at the waist.
- Visual Acuity: Ability to perform activities such as: preparing
and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer
terminal; and/or extensive reading, operating motor vehicles;
including color, depth perception, and field vision.
- Walking: Ability to move on foot for long distances and moving
from one work site to another.
- Dexterity: Primarily with fingers, as in picking, pinching, or
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires the
ability to be sensitive to change and responsive to changing goals,
priorities, and needs. Work may be performed in both in and
out-of-door environments with exposure to the wind, rain, cold,
heat and cramped spaces.
Keywords: City of Cocoa, FL, Melbourne , Backflow Technician, Other , Cocoa, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!