Phlebotomist - Lab Support Services, Holmes Regional Medical Center, Per Diem
Company: Health First
Posted on: August 10, 2019
To be fully engaged in providing Quality/No Harm, Customer
Experience, and Stewardship by\:
* Ensuring optimal support of laboratory testing activities through
timely and accurate specimen collection
* Processing customer requests (with the understanding that
patients, visitors, all hospital staff, physicians and fellow
co-workers are all our customers) and resolving customer issues in
a fantastically friendly, courteous, professional and timely
* Using all resources in the most efficient manner.
* The Support Services Tech is assigned to one or more of the
following laboratory sections of responsibility\: Phlebotomy,
Specimen Processing, Customer Services
* Understands and applies knowledge of test specimen requirements
and utilizes available reference materials to ensure that all
required specimens are collected and no omission errors or
inadequate specimens result.
* Uses care in performance of duties to avoid clerical errors at
the points of registration or test order from Reference Lab
Requisitions (errors\: tests ordered under wrong account, tests
ordered under wrong facility, tests ordered under wrong physician,
wrong test ordered, or not ordering tests as indicated); as
* Complies with policies/procedures/processes in the collection and
processing of patient specimens and provision of patient services,
including offsite phlebotomy services as applicable.
* Meets collection turn-around-times > 98% daily.
* Performs venipunctures with
* Performs blood culture collections with
* Assures valid patient results as evidenced by zero patient or
sample identification errors in the pre-analytical and
post-analytical phases of laboratory procedures per evaluation
* Understands and provides quality patient care by providing
complete and accurate information on all collection materials
(labeling errors during collection defined as\: rejected specimen
due to manual misspelling of patient name or rejected specimens due
to missing required information).
* Ensures the correct procedures are performed on the correct
patient by verifying two forms of patient identification.
* Verifies orders from the medical chart/requisition.
* Verifies that the label (s) is ordered correctly and corresponds
to the requisition, as applicable.
* Practices aseptic and sterile techniques.
* Meets safe driving requirements and maintains uncompromised
specimen integrity during transporting of specimens via automobile,
* Adheres to Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals.
* Reports all malfunctioning equipment (non-IT) to the BioMed
department, fellow associates and management.
* Reports all malfunctioning IT equipment (i.e., telephones, PC's,
paper printers, etc.) to the IT department, fellow associates and
* Completes specified jobs/tasks by deadline and/or provides
requested information in a timely and concise manner.
* Maintains current BLS certification, American Medical
Technologists or National Healthcare Certification and renews all
applicable certifications before the expiration date in compliance
with all renewal criteria; as applicable.
* Knowledge regarding location of emergency equipment/supplies and
how to use such equipment/supplies.
* Familiar with the Health First Emergency Kardex and
responsibilities in relation to specified emergent codes.
* Responsible for hurricane preparedness and their particular
responsibilities as a Health First associate.
* Knowledgeable of specimen collection requirements and provides
accurate and timely laboratory expertise.
* All specimens (s) are documented with the correct patient's
* Demonstrates the appropriate skill sets as determined by the
"Annual Competency Assessments".
* Ability to perform basic computer skills pertinent to job
* Monitors and complies with Joint Commission/CAP standards and
performs all job functions in accordance with State and Regional
requirements to ensure compliance to these standards.
* Offers suggestions for improvement with departmental
improvements; implements or revises section protocols and/or
department policies and procedures.
* Attends all mandatory meetings/in-services and reads and signs
off on all meeting minutes as required
* High school diploma or equivalent
* Valid Drivers License, as applicable.
* Phlebotomy certification from an accredited national phlebotomy
certification agency, or certification from an accredited
phlebotomy program requiring a minimum of 120 hours of course work,
or two years of phlebotomy experience, including geriatric and
* EKG certification, as applicable
* Proficiency in the skills under Inpatient and Outpatient
* Current AHA BLS certification or achieved prior to start date and
* Ability to prioritize and organize to maximize quality, value,
service and productivity.
* Medical Terminology knowledge preferred.
* Strong computer skills.
* Willing and able to work with bio-hazardous/toxic materials
following OSHA guidelines.
* Must be able to cover alternative shift to cover department when
requested by Supervisor
* Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
* Knowledge of quality assurance policies.
Keywords: Health First, Melbourne , Phlebotomist - Lab Support Services, Holmes Regional Medical Center, Per Diem, Healthcare , Melbourne, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!