Assistant Vice President and Controller
Company: Florida Institute of Technology
Posted on: January 17, 2023
The Assistant Vice President and Controller position is
responsible for overseeing the day to day financial accounting
operations and various business services for the university. The
position will provide department leadership, develop and implement
accounting and business policies and procedures, lead teams to
implement new system and processes, and ensure the university
remains compliant with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
(GAAP), applicable local, state and federal regulations, and ensure
accurate accounting of all financial transactions.
- Provide direct oversight of several departments, functions and
staff in the areas of general accounting, payroll, tax, accounts
payable, student accounts, treasury, debt and endowment
- May provide oversight of procurement functions, grants accounts
and other business services as directed.
- Responsible for ensuring on time monthly and annual accounting
closes, general ledger integrity and preparation of financial
statements with accompanying narrative.
- Serve as primary liaison to external audit teams, responding to
information requests and ensuring timely and accurate completion of
all audit schedules.
- Develop and monitor internal controls for improve compliance
and fraud prevention to safeguard institutional assets.
- Monitor and ensure the university's compliance with all debt
covenants and serve as main liaison with bond rating agency.
- Respond to a wide variety of special projects and reporting
requests with complete, accurate, and timely results.
- Articulate complex accounting and finance information through
effective written and oral communications that can be understood by
- Develop effective tools and training opportunities for various
constituencies on policies, procedures and financial management
- Take ownership of the Workday Financial Management system
ensuring the integrity of financial data, business processes,
security, maintenance and implementations. Ensure accurate transfer
of data from other Enterprise systems including, but not limited
to, Banner and Raiser's Edge.
- Maintain professional standards and affiliations within the
department to keep current in trends, regulations, and changes the
accounting and finance profession.
- Create a positive working environment for team members that
encourages staff to provide the highest quality of service and
support to all internal and external customers.
- Provide staff members timely training, coaching and evaluations
to ensure effective performance.
- Advise and support the Senior Vice President and Chief
Financial Officer on special projects, operations and all
accounting and business matters.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Business Administration
required, MBA or Master's degree strongly preferred
- Minimum 10 years accounting experience
- Minimum 5 years directly related experience overseeing
accounting and finance operations, including staff management
- CPA strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of GAAP, GASB, FASB standards, Fund
Accounting, and Internal Controls
- Workday Financial Management experience preferred
- Higher education experience preferred
Official transcripts of all collegiate work must be sent directly
from the attended institution to the Human Resources Office prior
to the first day of employment. All international degrees must have
a course-by-course official evaluation and translation sent to the
Human Resources Office directly from an evaluation company
affiliated with the National Association of Credential Evaluation
Services, Inc. (NACES).
Florida Tech does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability,
genetic information, age, pregnancy, parenting status, veteran
status or retirement status in its activities and programs. In
accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972,
Florida Tech does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Inquiries
concerning the application of the non-discrimination policy may be
directed to the Office of Title IX at John E. Miller Office
Building (401QAD), 150 West University Blvd, Melbourne, FL 32901,
TitleIXCoordinator@fit.edu, or 321-674-8885, or to the U.S.
Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Please notify us at least five days in advance if a reasonable
accommodation for a disability is needed by calling the Office of
Human Resource at 321-674-8100.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with the Clery Act, the University annually provides
a report to each student and current employee, as well as to
prospective employees and students, that provides a detailed
disclosure of information regarding campus security practices
(including Emergency Response Plan, Timely Warnings, Emergency
Notifications, Missing Persons, fire safety policies, fire
prevention data, and Crime Log policies), as well as crime and
fire-related incident statistics for the preceding year. The Annual
Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at
We are an E-verify employer
Keywords: Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne , Assistant Vice President and Controller, Accounting, Auditing , Melbourne, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!