Company: City of Cocoa, FL
Posted on: June 19, 2022
This is a professional exempt position in the Finance Department -
General Accounting Division. Work is performed with little direct
supervision under the general direction of the Accounting Manager.
This position will maintain and reconcile the City's general ledger
and accounts; prepare adjusting and closing entries for the general
ledger; prepare analyses and reports; assist external auditors;
assist other departments with reporting requirements. This position
assists with the annual audit and financial statement
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Reconcile monthly and monitor the City's bank accounts and
investment accounts; prepare related journal entries and maintain
* Monitor the City's restricted assets (from bonds, notes, grants,
contributions); work with departments to ensure expenditures are
within guidelines of the related restriction.
* Monitor the City's debt service reserve requirements; propose
money transfers needed to ensure the correct debt service reserve
balances are maintained.
* Prepare and submit annual unclaimed property filing in accordance
with Florida Statutes.
* Maintain records of capital assets; assist departments in
complying with capitalization policies.
* Prepare and record deposits of cash/checks/credit received in
* Assist Finance Department team members.
* Record accounting transactions; maintain and reconcile journals,
general ledger and subsidiary ledgers.
* Audit petty cash drawers; audit travel expense reports.
* Prepare annual Information Returns (1099's), W-2 Wage and Tax
Statements, various monthly, quarterly and annual federal, state,
and local filings including sales tax, fuel tax, building permit
surcharge, and grants.
* Prepare records for storage pursuant to State records retention
policies and procedures.
* Maintain, analyze, and report on various project cost accounting
records and spreadsheets.
* Prepare adjusting journal entries and closing journal entries
necessary to close books at month-end and fiscal year-end.
* The majority of position duties are required to be performed
* Assist in the preparation of the fiscal year-end financial
statements and reports including the Comprehensive Annual Financial
Report (CAFR), footnotes, statistical section and related reports;
the Annual Financial Report; and other reporting requirements.
* Mission Support employees may be required to work during a
declared or undeclared emergency.
* Performs other related tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Strong knowledge of governmental/fund accounting and auditing
principles and practices;
* Strong knowledge of payroll processing and related regulatory
* Extensive knowledge of personal computers and software
applications, particularly Excel, Word and Windows.
* Ability to make decisions pertaining to accounting policies and
procedures within established governmental accounting principles
* Ability to prepare financial and accounting reports using Excel
and Word and perform various analyses.
* Ability to work effectively and amicably with colleagues and
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Education and Experience:
Bachelor Degree from an accredited college or university with major
course work in accounting with a minimum of three (3) years'
experience in accounting field, preferably in governmental fund
accounting. A combination of education and relevant work experience
may be considered in lieu of degree.
For positions requiring the operation of City vehicles, must
possess a valid current Florida driver's license, or be able to
acquire one within 45 days of hire.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
The work is generally sedentary and may require exerting up to 20
pounds of force occasionally and up to 10 pounds frequently to
lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Additionally,
the following physical abilities are required:
* Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg
* Dexterity: Primarily with fingers, as in picking, pinching, or
* Handling: Picking, holding, or otherwise working, primarily with
the whole hand.
* Hearing: Ability to hear and understand at normal speaking levels
with or without correction.
* Mental Acuity: Ability to make rational decisions.
* Reaching: Ability to extend hand(s) and arm(s) in any
* Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist,
hands, and/or fingers.
* Sitting: Frequently sits for long periods of time.
* Speaking / Talking: Ability to communicate clearly, accurately
and concisely through speech.
* Visual Acuity: Ability to perform activities such as preparing
and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer
terminal; and/or extensive reading, and operating motor
* Walking: Ability to move about on foot to accomplish tasks and
move from one work site to another.
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires the
ability to be sensitive to change and responsive to changing goals,
priorities, and needs.
Keywords: City of Cocoa, FL, Melbourne , Staff Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Cocoa, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!